Elevate your culinary game with these recipes, courtesy of WithWild, celebrating the rich and succulent flavours of wapiti
WithWild Fiordland Wapiti Mince Taco
Taco nights gets a gourmet update
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 400g WithWild Wapiti mince
- Corn tortillas, 1 pack or 12 (Hands Down or Tío Pablo)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp chipotle salt (or chilli flakes)
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2–3 squares of 70% dark chocolate
- Kale, good bunch
- 2 lemons
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Sour cream
- Hot sauce of your choice (we love the Apostle spicy smoked BBQ)
- Thoroughly wash the kale, spin dry, then remove the stem and rip it into small pieces. Place in a bowl with a glug of virgin olive oil and massage thoroughly to break down the fibres, then squeeze in the juice of half a lemon.
- In a heavy-based pan on high heat, add a pinch of flaky salt and a glug of olive oil then begin to brown the wapiti mince heavily.
- Once evenly caramelised, add a dusting of cinnamon (1 tsp), a generous few pinches of chipotle salt, and some coarsely cracked black pepper. Cook for a further minute then remove from the heat. Fold through the dark chocolate.
- Reheat the tortillas over a dry cast iron on both sides then wrap in a folded tea towel ready to serve.
- Smear the bottom of the tortilla with the sour cream, add a spoonful of the kale salad, then a generous spoonful or two of the mince.
- Squeeze a drizzle of fresh lemon juice on top and a dash of your favourite hot sauce for a kick or keep it natural.
WithWild Fiordland Wapiti Sausage & Fennel Risotto
A delightful twist on the classic sausage meal
Cook time: 30 minutes
- 50ml extra virgin olive oil
- 500g WithWild Fiordland Wapiti Sausage (broken out of skins)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- ½ fennel bulb, chopped
- 500g carnaroli or arborio rice
- 150ml white wine
- 1L wapiti stock (substitute for chicken stock)
- 100g flat parsley, chopped
- 100g parmesan
- Heat a heavy-based pan over a medium heat. Add olive oil and cook sausage until caramelised.
- In another pot, heat the stock over a high heat.
- Remove the cooked sausage from the pan and reserve for later.
- In the pan that the sausage is cooked in, add the chopped onion, garlic, and fennel. Sweat the vegetables until softened. Add a little more olive oil if needed. Once the vegetables are translucent and soft, add the rice.
- Stir the rice through the oil and vegetables for about two minutes.
- Add the wine and stir. When the wine has almost evaporated, add the stock – a few ladles at a time. Keep adding stock to keep the rice almost submerged.
- Continue adding stock until the rice is al dente.
- Add the sausage back to the rice with the chopped parsley and mix well.
- Grate parmesan on top of the rice and stir to combine. Serve with another generous drizzle of olive oil and extra grated parmesan on top.