Please read this policy carefully as it describes the way in which we collect and handle your personal information.
Things you need to know:
- You have no obligation to provide any personal information requested by us.
- We may update or revise this policy from time to time and the revision date can be found at the end of this document.
- If you choose to withhold your personal information, we may not be able to provide you with certain services or products.
The TWR Media Privacy Commitment to you
- All personal information we collect and manage is done in compliance with the Privacy Act 1993 and other New Zealand privacy rules and regulations.
- We also ensure any personal information we collect during the course of our article and video creation activities is managed in accordance with the NZPC (NZ Press Council) Statement of Principles.
PERSONAL INFORMATION COLLECTION AND USE
Collection of personal information – direct from you
If possible, we collect information directly from you. Sources can include:
- magazine or digital subscription
- entry into promotions or competitions
- registration to mailing lists
- answers to surveys
- registering for newsletters
- joining our online communities
- events registration
- supply of goods and/or services
- supply of copy and information to our magazines, websites on social communities
- application for employment with us
- communications such as letters, telephone calls, text messaging, and emails relating to services and products
- download and use of our digital products and mobile applications (“apps”).
Collection of personal information – from third parties
- Sometimes, we may also collect your personal information from third parties or public agencies. As an example, if you subscribe to one of our magazines or websites through an authorised third party, we may collect your personal information from them
- If we have difficulty in delivering a magazine to you, we may make enquiries to locate your address to correct the recorded details.
- In some circumstances we may provide you access to our social online communities through a third party platform sign on. If this happens, we will be using the personal information you have authorised that third party platform to pass on to us.
- Where we collect personal information from third parties, we will ensure that the collection is conducted in a fair and lawful manner.
What general personal information do we collect?
- name and address
- telephone/email contact details
- date of birth and gender
- directly or indirectly through social media
- transaction details, if you make a purchase with us
- bank account/credit card numbers and details in relation to processing payments
- survey question answers
- information that may help improve your dealings with us
We collect personal information to:
- help the performance and functions of our business
- enable payment and processing of magazine and online subscriptions
- obtain consent for selected business partners to send to you offers of discounts or other benefits
- find people to participate in surveys, panels, and other research projects
- To inform you if you have won a prize or other details of a competition
- To help us better understand what products and services you would like
Information from mobile apps
- We or a service provider may collect information through our apps to help understand how you use our apps and how they are performing across different devices
- To assist us in selecting the correct advertising for groups of individuals
- Our access to this information is as you have agreed to with the store you downloaded our app from
Aggregated data use
- Sometimes we aggregate data from our collected records for research projects
- This data does not identify individuals
- The data may be shared with third parties who assist us with projects
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
- Organisations who are sponsoring or involved with a promotion, offer, competition, or survey.
- Companies or individuals we engage with, such as mailing a subscription, processing credit card information, mailing information or prizes, data analysis, telemarketing, research and advertising, and IT support services.
- Our New Zealand-based owners, joint venture partners, service providers, and agents
- We may disclose your personal information where required or authorised to do so by law, including in emergency situations and to assist law enforcement authorities.
Safeguarding your information
- We ensure that any organisation that we disclose your information to is subject to appropriate contractual obligations and complies with all Privacy Laws.
- We will always ensure that those whom we disclose your personal information have the legal right to receive it.
Securing your personal information
- We take all reasonable steps to protect your information from misuse, interference, loss, unauthorised access, modification, or disclosure.
- We store information both at an onsite secure server and at trusted third party storage providers.
- All staff are trained to ensure they are aware of our privacy commitments and our obligations with the collection and use of personal information.
- All authorised staff are required to sign in and use a password when accessing our secure systems.
Access and correction of personal information
- You can access or correct your personal information by contacting us at the ‘Contact Details’ set out below.
- If you wish to delete your personal information, let us know and we will take all reasonable steps to delete it, unless we are required to retain it for legal reasons.
COMPETITIONS – TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- Entry is only open to New Zealand residents who enter via the relevant website operated by TWR Media
- Entrants under 18 years old must have parental/guardian approval to enter and the parent/guardian of the entrant must read and consent to these Terms and Conditions
- If a winner is under 18 years of age, the prize may be awarded to the winner’s parent or guardian.
- Employees (and their immediate families) of TWR Media and companies associated with the specific promotion are ineligible to enter. Immediate family means any of the following: spouse, ex-spouse, de-facto spouse, child or step-child (whether natural or by adoption), parent, step-parent, grandparent, step-grandparent, uncle, aunt, niece, nephew, brother, sister, step-brother, step-sister, or first cousin
- To be eligible to enter, individuals must, during the Promotional Period as shown on the entry page, visit the relevant website operated by TWR Media or with which TWR Media is associated follow the prompts to the Win/Giveaway competition page, select the prize draw they wish to enter and fill in the entry form (relevant to that prize draw) including their full name and email address and submit the online entry as instructed and before entries for that prize draw close
- In the event that an ineligible entry is selected or TWR Media is unable to contact a winner within two weeks of the Prize draw, having made reasonable attempts to do so, the TWR Media may deem that winner’s entry invalid and select a new winner on the same terms as the original Prize selection
- Entrants may only enter once per prize draw
- No prize is transferable, changeable or redeemable for cash
- In the event that a prize or any part of a prize becomes unavailable for any reason beyond TWR Media’s control, TWR Media’s publisher may in his/her sole discretion decide to provide an alternative prize
- Neither TWR Media nor any other entity associated with any specific competition will be responsible for any late, lost, misdirected, corrupted, incomplete or incorrectly submitted entries, including but not limited to entries not received due to technical problems or human error.
- The time entries are deemed to be made will be the time the entry is received, not the time the entry is submitted by an entrant
- TWR Media reserves the right to disallow entries in its absolute discretion and without giving reasons
- By entering the Promotion, entrants agree to the use of their names, photographs and likeness for promotional/advertising purposes, and agree to make themselves reasonably available for this purpose if so required. The ensuing copyright will rest with TWR Media, without any claim to compensation from the entrant
- All competition entries become the property and copyright of TWR Media
- By entering the promotion, entrants assign copyright in their entry to TWR Media
- The winner acknowledges and agrees that he or she will comply with all instructions given by employees of TWR Media and other agencies associated with the promotion, and agree not to do anything that may bring TWR Media into disrepute.
- The winner agrees that as a condition of their participation in the prize, he or she may be required to execute a waiver and indemnity in the form provided by TWR Media
- If a winner cannot accept or take part in the prize for any reason, that prize will be void and no compensation will be payable.
- TWR Media reserves the right, at any time, to verify the validity of entries and entrants (including an entrant’s identity, age and place of residence) and reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any entry or refuse to award a prize
- Incomplete or indecipherable entries will be deemed invalid.
- If there is a dispute as to the identity of an entrant, TWR Media reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to determine the identity of the entrant.
- All decisions made by TWR Media its employees or agents are final and no correspondence will be entered into.
- TWR Media may amend, suspend or cancel any aspect of the competition (including any prize) at any time in its sole discretion.
- Except for any liability that cannot be excluded by law, as a condition of participating in a promotion, the winner indemnifies TWR Media, all organisers, sponsors and all other persons and organisations associated in any way with that promotion against all claims, damages, liabilities, costs and expenses (including legal fees on a solicitor and client basis) which the winners may incur arising out of their participation in the promotion and/or participating in a prize, howsoever caused.
- Failure to provide requested personal information may disqualify a person from being able to receive a prize.
COOKIES AND WEB BEACONS THROUGH WEBSITES AND APPS
We, and our service providers, use the information collected from cookies for a number of reasons:
- for statistical purposes in order to track how many users we have and how often they visit our website or apps;
- to provide statistical data, ratings, and other information for industry and other public reporting;
- to provide you with a more personalised, convenient, and interactive experience on our websites or apps;
- to track who has viewed an advertisement or clicked-through an advertisement; and
- to provide you with a more targeted advertising experience both on and off our websites or apps, allowing us to impose restrictions where appropriate and monitor how effective an advertising campaign has been.
We engage various analytic programs, including Flurry Analytics, Google Analytics, and Adobe Analytics to analyse the performance of our websites and apps and to provide us with reports that contain aggregated, de-identified benchmark information that assists us to understand when, and how many times, you have used our websites or apps.
The anonymous information assists us in the selection of advertisements for groups of individuals.
We may also use Google Analytics features (including Google Remarketing, Google Display Network Impressions Reporting, the Double Click Campaign Manager, and Google Analytics Demographics and Interest Reporting) on our websites and apps. Google Analytics uses both first party and third party cookies to record standard internet traffic information such as when, and how many times, you have visited our websites or apps.
We, and some third parties (including Google and the Krux data management platform), also use the information to optimise advertising selection for groups of individuals based on demographic information. The cookies allow us and other third parties (including Google) to evaluate your interactions with advertising services on our websites and apps and serve targeted advertising on those websites and apps and across the Internet.
We have enabled Google Analytics for Display Advertising, which allows Google and other third parties to advertise to you on our websites and apps and across the Internet.
You can opt-out of Adobe Analytics tracking and on-site personalization services by following the instructions on http://www.adobe.com/au/privacy/opt-out.html#4.
You can opt out of Krux data management tracking and personalized advertisement recommendations from Krux by following the prompts at http://www.krux.com/krux_privacy/consumer_choice/
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
When you click on advertisements or links on any of our websites or through our apps, you may be redirected to a third party website. The linked websites are not under our control and we are not responsible for the conduct of companies linked to our websites or apps.
ANONYMITY AND USE OF A PSEUDONYM
You may request at any time that you remain anonymous, or choose a pseudonym, when dealing with us. To the extent that it is lawful and practicable for us to enable you to do so, we will grant such a request.
HOW TO MAKE A COMPLAINT
If you wish to make a complaint about the way in which we handle your personal information, please contact our Helpdesk using the contact details set out below.
We undertake to acknowledge and investigate any complaint promptly and will respond to written complaints within a reasonable time from the date of receipt. If you are dissatisfied with our response, you may refer the matter to the New Zealand Privacy Commissioner (see www.privacy.org.nz).
If you are dissatisfied with our response in relation to the way in which we handle your personal information in the course of our journalistic activities, you may refer the matter to the New Zealand Press Council (see www.presscouncil.org.nz).
City Works Depot,
Shed 12, 90 Wellesley Street West,
Alternatively, you can send an email to our Helpdesk at: firstname.lastname@example.org.